Tooth Sensitive to Sweets and Sugar

tooth cleaning in Bellevue to help sensitive teeth

Tooth Sensitive to Sweet and Sugar

Ouch! My tooth hurts when I eat sweets!

“My tooth is sensitive to sweets and sugar!” If your tooth has sensitivity to sweets and sugars, their is a chance the tooth might have a cavity.   Tooth sensitivity also occurs when teeth becomes thinner, thereby exposing the dentin layer.  Tooth sensitivity, also known as root or dentinal hypersensitivity, may also irritate the nerve and pulp in your teeth, thereby causing tooth pain.  Sweet sensitivity is an indicator of possible tooth decay, but it may also have other causes.   Let’s examine a few things that may cause your tooth to be sweet sensitive:

CAUSES OF TOOTH SWEET SENSITIVITY

  • tooth decay due to presence of bacteria and exposed enamel and/or dentin
  • exposed dentin and enamel from excessive toothbrushing and tooth grinding (ie. bruxism habit).  Dentin and enamel exposure can also result from excessive eating and drinking acidic foods.
  • broken tooth, exposing the tooth’s inner layer
  • lost filling, thereby exposing enamel and dentin
  • tooth’s nerve is exposed

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SUGAR SENSITIVITY

When eating foods or ingesting drinks that are sugary and these foods cause your tooth to be sensitive or painful, your tooth may be sweet sensitive.  Usually once the food or drink is fully ingested the sensitivity will immediately go away.

WHY DOES SUGAR CAUSE MY TOOTH TO BE SENSITIVE?

Sugar can be quite addictive and delicious, but sugars can also cause enamel to be worn away.  The sweets in deserts, sugary carbonated drinks, etc. contain high amounts of carbohydrates that interact with bacteria in your mouth to form acids.  Such acids cause enamel erosion, and as such higher amounts of sugar leads to greater acid production, and increased chance of sensitivity.  Repeated constant exposure of sugars may eventually lead to tooth decay.

HOW TO TREAT SWEET SENSITIVE TEETH

If a tooth is sensitive to sweets, have your dentist evaluate the tooth.  If it is due to tooth decay, a filling may be needed.  If the sensitivity is due to a broken tooth, a filling or full coverage crown and root canal may be required.  If the sweet sensitivity is due to exposed enamel or dentin, a toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth may help, such as Sensodyne or Colgate Sensitive or Floridex.
A proper diet low in processed foods with high sugar contents like soda, cookies, and candies will help.  Instead load up on fresh vegetables, fruits, and water.  A diet low in acid may also help.

Brushing your teeth twice and flossing regularly is also recommended.

If you have any questions or concerns why your tooth is sensitive to sweets and sugars, be sure to consult your family dentist and dental hygienist.

Your gentle dentist in Bellevue and Redmond,
Peter Chien, DMD, MPH
www.bellevuefamilydentistry.com
(425) 614-1600